2007-10-21

The Curse of Knowledge

One of the concepts in Made to Stick is the 'Curse of Knowledge'.

The book mentions an experiment where people are asked to tap out a well-known song (e.g. happy birthday), without vocalizing, for another person to guess what the song is.

The tapper is asked what they think is the likelihood of the other person correctly guessing. People tend to think there's an even chance. In actuality, only 2% of the listeners guess correctly.

The reason for this mistaken confidence in the listener's ability is that once we have knowledge, it becomes difficult for us to view the world from any other perspective. When we hear the music in our heads, we naturally assume that our tapping will elicit strong associations in the listener.

In a recent post, I discussed my disappointment about how audience members remember very few ideas from a presentation I had given after two months had passed. I had suffered the Curse, since I thought I was conveying a lot of knowledge during the presentation, but the audience had not heard the "song"...they'd heard me "tapping".

In general, when I try to convey knowledge, I find it valuable to map out the context for the information, relate that information to the listener's current perspective, and if possible tell the story of how I know what I know. When learning, it's more important to hear about the journey than the destination.